My thoughts, opinions and random outburst are independent and do not reflect the views of the University of Sydney or the Institute for Neuroscience and Muscle Research. In fact, most people in my lab thinks I’m nuts and my jokes are terrible.
Our Institute has an Ion Torrent PGM mostly funded by an Australian government grant (NHMRC grant). We currently do not have the budget to buy anymore sequencers. I have tried to be unbiased with my opinions and most of the time due to my limited knowledge of Illumina and Roche they are saved from my harsh criticism.
I have received free dinner!! Unfortunately, the Illumina free dinner at ASHG 2011 was invite only 😦
Here are the parties I have received food from and my ratings out of 10.
- Life Technologies Gala Dinner at ASHG 2011 (9/10) – Awesome dinner and entertainment. Sat next to the Ion Torrent people.. they were “more normal” than expected 😛
- Life Technologies (8/10) – Lack of variety and imagination. Come on guys pick up your act!
- Illumina (7/10) – I’m lactose intolerant and don’t drink alcohol. Wine & Cheese not good.
- Roche (8.5/10) – Great assortment. Can be improved if savory food was added. Anything cheese and bacon is quite a hit at our Institute.
- Merk/Millipore (9/10) – Great choice of savory and sweet. Can be improved if someone helped with the DIY croissants.
- Mum’s (10/10) – Cambodian specialty
- Other Mum’s (10/10) – Indonesian specialty
- Wife (11/10) – All round superstar cook
Free pens and other merchandise permanently borrowed from my desk
- Applied Biosystems Pen – second generation pens are crap. Someone “borrowed” my first generation pen.
- Invitrogen Pen – second generation pens are crap. Someone “borrowed” my first generation pen.
- Invitrogen Timer – Not that crappy one with the red goo in it. No one wants to borrow that!
- New England Biolabs orange floaty – damn you! I even wrote my name on that.
- Perkin-Elmer notepad
Stuff I have won
- A free t-shirt, mug and USB drives for contributions in the early days of the Ion Community.
- A $50 Amazon gift voucher for using Torrent Scout and providing feedback
- A wine bottle at a Bioinformatics conference at the Gold Coast. My friends tell me its the worst wine they’ve drank. It was awesome to win though!
- A MACS food hamper. My wife actually won this at a conference but I ate all the food 🙂